Friday, October 25, 2013

How many times on top of the world is enough?

At FICCI's TURF 2013, I got the chance to interact with a young man who was the youngest Indian to scale Mt. Everest and subsequently the youngest Indian to summit Mt. Lhotse and Mt. Manaslu.

And what does it take to scale the top of the world thrice literally? He says "Hours and hours of training, exercise, endurance building activities and a diet that resembles that of a wrestler, support and prayers of family and a will of steel but humility to the forces of nature and the whims of weather conditions."
"Conquering Everest was a big deal but convincing my parent was an even bigger deal. But I was adamant to do this and my dad had a huge role to play. He believed that I could do it and he went all out to make it happen for me."
For this young lad of twenty, the business of Mountain climbing is a serious issue which he highlights at events he attends as a motivational speaker. Mountaineering is an expensive hobby and for him a way of life so funding his dreams is the main focus of his life.

He also wants to educate, create awareness and promote mountaineering as an adventure sports and extreme sports in India which he believes can be sustained in India with many youngsters these days becoming interested in the field.

He laments the lack of recognition of young achievers in the field of Mountaineering as it has not received its due as a sports in India and hopes that it will gain the stature it deserves through the efforts of many more like minded people in the country.

"I have received recognition abroad for my achievements but here in India, except for some sections of the Media, we mountaineers are largely ignored. I have so far not received a single penny from the government towards my expedition though fortunately for me, I have been able to get good sponsors to back me up to make my dreams come true so far."

What next? This enthusiastic young man who almost ended up being a football star, has a long list of summits to conquer. "It is my dream to reach the all the 14 summits around the world at above 8000 metres above sea level. It is not about conquering the highest peaks but it is about conquering myself, being one with nature, testing my limits and finding new ways to getting on top of my dreams."

He feels that he has lived more by being on mountains. Yes. There may have been movies he missed, family time and celebrations he had to forego, but the feeling of seeing the world at one's feet when on top of the World is worth giving the rest of the experiences a miss and he is ready to do it again and again. Precisely eleven more times in the next 7 to 10 years, god-willing and weather permitting.

I wish him all the best as he goes from pillar to strength to pave his way to the remaining dreams.

Special Note:
Thanks to Blogmint, India’s first and only paid bloggers network and the online media partner for FICCI’s TURF 2013 for allowing me to be a part of the LIVE Blogging experience.

Read more at Call of the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment